Breast Cancer Awareness Month

From+Jack+Hollis%27s+Instagram+

From Jack Hollis’s Instagram

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, not only are there big organizations that try and raise money for breast cancer research and awareness, but Farragut High School also helps to make contributions to raise money for the cause.

Some may be wondering what exactly is Breast Cancer Awareness month. It’s pretty much just what it sounds like, it is a month dedicated to trying to spread awareness for breast cancer. 

Defined by The World Health Organization, “The Breast Cancer Awareness Month, marked in countries across the world every October, helps to increase attention and support for the awareness, early detection and treatment as well as palliative care of this disease.”

The World Health Organization also provides statistics like, “There are about 1.38 million new cases and 458 000 deaths from breast cancer each year (IARC Globocan, 2008). Breast cancer is by far the most common cancer in women worldwide, both in the developed and developing countries. In low- and middle-income countries the incidence has been rising up steadily in the last years due to increase in life expectancy, increase urbanization and adoption of western lifestyles.”

When people think of breast cancer, there are actually lots of myths about it. According to the National Breast Cancer Foundation one common myth about breast cancer is, “Antiperspirants and deodorants cause cancer. Here’s the truth, Researchers at the National Cancer Institute (NCI) are not aware of any conclusive evidence linking in the use of underarm antiperspirants or deodorants and the subsequent development of breast cancer.”

The National Breast Cancer Foundation has many more myths on their website, another one being, “Men do not get breast cancer; it affects women only. Here’s the truth, Quite the contrary, each year it is estimated that approximately 2,190 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer and 410 will die. While this percentage is still small, men should also check themselves periodically by doing a breast self-exam while in the shower and reporting any changes to their physicians. Breast cancer in men is usually detected as a hard lump underneath the nipple and areola. Men carry a higher mortality than women do, primarily because awareness among men is less and they are less likely to assume a lump is breast cancer, which can cause a delay in seeking treatment.”

There are many organizations that try and spread awareness and raise money for breast cancer research such as some commonly known ones as, Wear It Pink, Breast Cancer Research Foundation, Breast Cancer Prevention Partners, and National Breast Cancer Foundation etc.

Wear It Pink logo

Wear It Pink is an organization that, “Breast Cancer Now’s wear it pink day is one of the biggest fundraising events in the UK. Taking place during Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, thousands of amazing people wear it pink in their communities, schools or work places for the UK’s largest breast cancer charity, Breast Cancer Now.Right now, we don’t know what the world will look like in October. What we’ll be able to do. Who we’ll be able to go and see. But we know that breast cancer doesn’t stop for anything.Our nurses, scientists, and the hundreds of thousands of families affected by breast cancer, urgently need your support. Now more than ever. So, if there was ever a time to wear it pink Wear it on Friday 23 October.”

This is how Farragut High School contributes in its own way to help other organizations like Wear It Pink. 

Jack Hollis, a senior, said, “Farragut High School raised $5,186 for The American Cancer Society, they raised it by the help of  students, families, and faculty that pitched in. It took about 3 weeks, but we are very proud that we donated to such a great cause, and that we could potentially save multiple lives. Blake Milstead, Angus Pence, and I all tried to spread awareness about the donations to try  and get as many people we could get to donate, to try and help as much as we could. All three of us were going to get our heads shaved if we reached the goal, and on October 9th at the pink out game we ended up getting our heads shaved, since we reached the goal and so now we are bald.” 

From Jack Hollis’ Instagram, Angus Pence, Blake Milstead, and Jack Hollis (pictured left to right)

As you can see Breast Cancer Awareness Month is a pretty big deal not only to big organizations, but even to Farragut High School, and that is important to play your part in supporting a great cause!