The Journey of LaMelo Ball

The Journey of LaMelo Ball

LaMelo Ball has been selected by the Hornets with the third overall pick of the 2020 NBA draft. Ball has had a very unique, curvy path to the NBA, playing for many different teams. 

He started off freshman year at Chino Hills High School, playing alongside his brothers, Lonzo and LiAngelo. He averaged 16.4 points per game and 3.8 assists per game, winning him the MaxPreps Freshman of the Year award. 

Ball’s sophomore year, he returned to Chino Hills with his brother LiAngelo, and had his famous 92 point game. This is where Ball started to make a name for himself. He averaged 26.7 points per game and 10 assists per game, earning him MaxPreps Sophomore All-American first team recognition. 

Ball’s junior year, instead of playing in high school, he signed with Prienai of the Lithuanian Basketball League, with his brother LiAngelo, becoming the youngest American to ever sign a professional basketball contract. He was 16 playing against professionals. 

Ball’s senior year he transferred to Spire Academy playing with some big names including, Mark Watts, Myron Gardner, and Isaiah Jackson. He finished the season with 26.7 points per game and 10 assists per game. He led Spire to victory scoring 41 points in a 102-67 victory over Hillcrest Prep North, at the Grind Session World Championship. 

Because Ball already had a shoe deal, and was considered a “professional athlete”, he had to go overseas and play for the Illawarra Hawks, instead of going to college. He dominated in the NBL, averaging 17 points per game. 

After Ball’s year in Australia, many pro teams were interested in him. He was finally picked up by the Hornets, and is currently in preseason. 

Ball playing in Australia (Rick Rycroft )

“History is dependent on the new generation to write a new chapter”

-LaMelo Ball