The Future of Spring Sports

Farragut Softball Schedule 2021

This past year has been a very difficult time for student-athletes. It is especially difficult when their season is up in the air. Fall sports were almost canceled and the Spring sports season is still raising concern. Most teams have already started practice, but they are taking extra precautions when it comes to social distancing and slowing the spread of Covid-19. The Lady Admirals softball team started workouts in October and official practice starts in mid-February. As for the Farragut Boys Soccer team, workouts started a couple of months ago, and try-outs are on February 15th. 

Team sports have definitely changed since Farragut’s last spring season. However, Farragut’s softball team is doing all they can to continue having a regular season. They plan to have about 20 district games. Cameron Young, a senior softball player who’s been with Farragut since the 6th grade, said the team hasn’t run into any other issues other than Covid-19. As far as practice and workouts go, the team does the best they can to social distance, and plan to continue practicing safe protocols when games start. 

“We are unsure, as of now, how and what things will change, but we will definitely try our best to social distance when possible . . . I think the most difficult thing this season will be keeping everybody healthy and quarantine free,” said Young.

Cameron Young playing softball.

All players look forward to the seniority they receive during their last season of high school sports. Since last spring there have been mandates and regulations preventing athletes from bonding together and becoming a close-knit team. 

“I expect us to have another good year and I’m excited to see us all come together, given the circumstances, and hopefully make it to state,” said Young.

Despite being in the midst of a pandemic, hopefully, the Lady Admirals softball team will have a great season, stay healthy, and make it state. As for Young, she plans to continue her softball career at East Tennessee State University (ETSU) in the fall. 

The Farragut boys soccer team also hopes to have a great season. Senior and avid soccer player, Tyler Warrick, stated that the team hopes to have a healthy, safe, and overall, great season. The team started workouts 2-3 months ago and hopes to play all their scheduled games for the season. Besides Covid-19, Warrick states that the only other issue the team has faced this year, is a lack of senior players, but he still expects a great season from the team. Because soccer is more of a contact sport than softball the season is still up in the air. 

“If we do not have a season I will be fairly disappointed, it would suck for my senior season to go out the window like that,” said Warrick.

Tyler Warrick in a game against Bearden High School.

Like softball, all the boys on the Farragut Soccer team are hoping and looking forward to a normal season this spring. Warrick has been playing soccer since he was 8 years old, however, he does not plan to continue playing next year at the University of Tennessee. Instead, he plans to focus more on his studies, and major in engineering.  

Although this past year has been difficult for all Farragut students, especially senior athletes, these students seem to have an optimistic attitude about their upcoming seasons. By following safe Covid-19 protocols like social distancing, hopefully, all spring sports will have their full season, and seniors will get to experience a great last season of high school sports.