Gingerbread Houses for the Fantasy of Trees

It’s that time of the year again for the annual gingerbread house competition for the Fantasy of Trees. Farragut High School has been participating in this charity event since 2009. Nutrition Across Lifespan Development is the class that participates in making these gingerbread houses, and it works alongside the club, Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA). The teacher who is in charge of this annual project is Mrs. Flatford.  Mrs. Flatford has been teaching at Farragut High School since 2006.

“I didn’t start doing the Gingerbread houses immediately when I got here. We didn’t start until 2009,” said Mrs. Flatford. 

Every year the Fantasy of Trees has a different theme for the occasion. This year’s theme is Mistletoe Mountain. Last year the school raised $5,000. It looks like there could be a good turn out this year.

“We hope to make as much money as last year or more since the quality is a bit better this year,” says Mrs. Flatford.

One of the gingerbread houses made by a student at Farragut High School.

Some of the students stated that they loved the class, and they believe making gingerbread houses is really fun.

“This is my first time actually making a gingerbread house from scratch,” said Deven Weller, a senior at Farragut. 

“It’s also been such a good time. We have all gotten into the Christmas spirit, and we get to help the Children’s Hospital.”

Not only is this a great way to get kids in the Christmas spirit, but it also allows them to have fun while also doing something good by raising money for charity.                             

Cade Brooker, a sophomore at Farragut High School who is at work making a gingerbread house in his Nutrition Across Lifespan Development class.