Knoxville Polar Plunge to Raise Money for FHS Special Olympics

The Polar Plunge is an annual challenge where brave people from across Knoxville come to jump into freezing water to raise money for Special Olympics Teams in the city and state. This year, Farragut High School’s peer tutoring program is gathering students and staff to help raise money for the Special Olympics this coming spring. Half of the money raised for the plunge goes to each school for their individual program, while the other half goes to the Special Olympics Foundation in Tennessee. For the past 50 years, the Tennessee Special Olympics has been holding competitions to encourage people with disabilities to showcase their athletic talent and strive to be their best. The event attempts to break down social barriers and stereotypes and encourage inclusion and friendship among peers. The plunge will take place this Saturday, February 22, 2020 at Knoxville’s World’s Fair Park at 11:30 a.m. 

Farragut High School peer tutor, Abby Rhodes, has been involved in the peer tutoring program for years. She loves it and thinks it’s a great way to make new friendships. Rhodes has participated in the Special Olympics before, but this is her first year doing the polar plunge. 

“I’m nervous, but excited to spend time with students outside our school,” Rhodes said. 

Peer tutoring student, Aaron Miller, is participating in the plunge this year and is very excited for both the plunge and the Special Olympics. 

He says, “I’m so excited to jump.” 

Peer tutor, Liv Specht, said, “It’s all he’s [Aaron] been talking about for weeks! He’s so excited.” 

It’s easy to say that both the polar plunge and the Special Olympics will be a great time for both students and staff, not to mention all the fundraising is going towards a great cause.