The New Advisory Periods

A newly improved feature of the Farragut High School schedule includes a significant increase in the quality and quantity of advisory periods. The reconstructed advisories typically occur once or twice a week, and include around 20 minutes of discussion among the students within each classroom, allowing those who partake to understand certain concepts that aren’t covered in core classes and electives. The advisories now have a curriculum, which greatly differs from the previous advisories by including actual content and learning experiences. Prior to the update, the average advisory occured once per semester, and involved an advisory teacher giving students information regarding schedules, test results, and other documents. The current advisory curriculum is given by the administration to the advisory teachers, who exercise authority over how the curriculum is taught to the students. So far, the advisories have covered abstract concepts of developing the mind to better one’s health and positive interaction with others.

According to an effective advisory teacher, Anthony Wooley, “I like this opportunity to talk better than before…before, I didn’t really feel like I was advising my students. My only suggestion of improvement is to not make any suggestions.”

Mr. Wooley has instructed advisories during both the previous and current administrations; his perspective on the newly improved advisories aligns closely with that of the student body. Although the school’s administration determines the curriculum, the teachers play a crucial role in the results of advisory sessions. Mr. Wooley and other teachers provide the necessary enthusiasm, creativity, and skill required to properly operate the advisory sessions.

A current senior of FHS that has experienced the previous and current advisories comments, “I think the new phase is better. At first, I was annoyed because the advisories started taking time away from my important classes, however, if they can help at least one person then it’s definitely worth it.”

When asked about the new vs. old advisories, George Evans and much of the student body can agree that the new advisories are superior. With the old advisories, periods involved sitting around waiting for the bell to ring. With the new ones, however, students interact with one another and learn about important life skills. Leadership and social skills are something that teenagers commonly find unimportant, but these classes are teaching the importance of these two concepts. Thanks to the new staff at Farragut High School, we are starting to shift towards a more positive environment.